GOAL: The Intern Program is designed to give individuals an opportunity to deepen their personal walk with God by gaining valuable experience and training in both practical and theoretical aspects of full-time Christian ministry.
REPORTS TO: Chris Lagedrost: Student Ministries Pastor
WE ARE LOOKING FOR: A talented, highly motivated, energetic initiator who wants to connect with students and leaders, and help build relationships that promote growth in Christ. Because Ascent is a growing and emerging church, interns will be encouraged to think creatively about how to engage students and their families in our community. Interns should be excited to think outside of the box and should be highly adaptable.
● Make sure YOU are connected to Jesus. Connect to God and make that your #1 priority.
● Embody the values of Ascent: Make Ascent a place where connections are made with others and with Jesus.
● Be in their world. Don’t wait for students to come to you. Go to them – just like Jesus came to our world.
● Pursue the whole family. Student Ministry is FAR more effective when you love, communicate and honor parents well.
● Partner with the whole church. Don’t become a parachurch at Ascent. Be engaged in the broader life of Ascent.
● Be Teachable. Always be willing to learn with humility.
The Student Ministry Internship Purpose:
● To deepen interns’ personal walk with Jesus Christ, as their Lord and Savior. This will prayerfully happen as interns step out in faith and participates alongside other staff members as they all seek to minister to the exciting mission field of Louisville/Superior. Hopefully, by the time interns have fulfilled their work commitment they will experience a closer walk with their Savior.
● To give interns opportunities to discover, use, and grow in their spiritual gifts. As Ascent staff, interns seeks to fulfill, along with the rest of the staff team, the Mission and Purpose of Student Ministries and Ascent Community Church (available upon request). Participating as an intern can help those who are considering full-time ministry as an occupation decide if it is a true calling.
The internship has both a relational and administrative component to the job description. Goals will be set, tasks will be assigned, and expectations will be communicated and reviewed on a weekly basis. The work week will somewhat vary week to week but always including: administrative tasks, ministry contact appointments, ministry event planning, staff meetings, Ministry Program nights, Sunday morning church, substantial “after hour” activity - late nights, early mornings, weekends, retreats, etc.
Help make Student Ministry a family: The ministry is a “person to people” ministry. This includes ministry activities such as one on one, one with a few, and one to many.
● Meet with students. Be where they are: Schools, Games, Outside activities etc o Have at least three separate meetings with kids/week.
Bring leaders to meetings with students constantly
Design opportunities for multiple generations to connect.
● Train and care for volunteer/student leaders.
Have at least three separate meetings with volunteer leaders/week.
Consistently recruit volunteer leaders
● Create environments with other intern where students can invite their friends and grow in their relationships and faith in Jesus Christ
Ex. Student Ministry Program, mission trips, weekend events
MORE SPECIFICS ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
Weekly Functions of an Intern:
-Work about 50 hours, with two full days off in a seven-day week, as a salaried (not hourly) position.
-Spend a considerable amount of time one on one with students and leaders and other volunteers for outreach, discipleship, and listening.
-Facilitating/Leading Small groups
-Designing ministry environments and training and discipleship environments weekly that facilitate growth in relationships and Christ
-Coordinate Student Ministry Auction -Be faithful in personal growth disciplines...Prayer, Scripture study, in a small group, meet with a mentor, and worship
-Attend/work at Ascent each Sunday
-Attend weekly Ascent staff meetings
General Functions of an Intern:
Help make the Student Ministry program run: retreats, social events, Bible studies, large group gatherings, take on social media presence for ministry and much more.
Teach at Student Programming when requested and at Leader Trainings.
Substantial “after hour” activity—some late nights, early mornings, weekends, retreats, etc.
Care for and train volunteer leaders
Assist Ascent Staff on major projects for the year.
Enjoy the experience and learn a great deal!
Interns are paid a salary equivalent to $20,500 over 10 months ($24,600 yearly salary):
Host families will be provided to cover room and board expenses ($8,000 over 10 mon)
Interns will be paid $1,250/mon ($12,500 over 10 mon)
In addition, interns will be reimbursed for any personal ministry expense for up to $50/mon The 2020-2021 internship will begin on August 1st , 2020 and extend through the school year - May 31, 2021.
Once an intern has been selected, he/she will have some required reading and training assignments before August 1st 2020.