DATE: 31 Oct 18
PURPOSE: Represent and conduct the ministry of Spring Canyon in accordance with the OCF and Spring Canyon Strategy through your specialty area, kitchen/dining room, and housekeeping duties or as directed by the Center Director or his designated representative. Serve as a member of the Spring Canyon ministry team, with a focus on providing spiritual refreshment and blessing to every guest. Conduct programs and activities at Spring Canyon that draw guests closer to Jesus Christ and make an impact on the way they live for Him. Help ensure that Spring Canyon is a place where members and guests of OCF are emboldened in their faith and walk, equipped to live out their faith and run their race, encouraged along the entire course of their race, and engaged in their calling as they live out their lives.
SUBORDINATES: As assigned by the Center Director.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Key responsibilities of this position are as follows:
· Live faithfully as a disciple of Jesus Christ and in obedience to God’s Word. Subscribe to the OCF Statement of Faith and Participation, and Biblical Guidelines for Member and Leader Conduct without reservation. Be an active OCF member.
· Responsible to disciple, counsel and teach subordinates, encouraging and equipping them for growth in their faith in Christ. Responsible to establish and maintain a healthy spiritual environment in which subordinates can work, learn, and develop.
· Facilitate adult discussions and Bible studies, as assigned; help set a Christ-honoring spiritual tone for the conference center. Lead prayer and devotional times with subordinates as appropriate to promote their spiritual growth.
· Team--Contribute to the success of Spring Canyon by being an integral part of the ministry team and by supporting the Center Director to create a God-honoring environment where people encounter Christ and are encouraged in their walk. Contribute to the fullness of the “heartbeat” of Spring Canyon and encourage God-loving relationships with every staff and family member at Spring Canyon.
· Perform Duties as determined in your specialty area as shown below.
If specialty area is Facilities and Grounds Maintenance, then
· Assists the Director of Facilities and Maintenance to maintain facilities and grounds in a manner which provides a safe and comfortable environment for all staff and guests.
· Be prepared to respond to emergency maintenance during all hours of the day.
· Assists the Director of Facilities and Maintenance to coordinate construction projects, remodels, and other special projects.
If specialty area is Audio/Visual Tech, then
· Set up and install equipment such as microphones, sound speakers, video screens, projectors, video monitors, recording equipment, connecting wires and cables, sound and mixing boards for events
· Confer with speakers to establish recording procedures
· Monitor sound feeds to ensure quality; test and resolve equipment issues; diagnose and correct media system problems; clean audio and video equipment and store properly
· Digitize audio and video data
· Maintain a working knowledge of computer repair and common software applications
If specialty area is Outdoor Guide, then
· Lead and facilitate a variety of outdoor adventure elements and activities for each of Spring Canyon’s two premier wilderness leadership programs, Rocky Mountain High, Father Teen Adventure, Climb Together, and Teen program for Summer Celebration family retreats.
· Daily activities will vary including: leading rock climbing and rappelling, leading a small group on multi-day backpacking adventures, leading students up the summit of one of Colorado’s 14,000’+ peaks, facilitating team-building and high ropes course events, and more.
· Maintain physical fitness appropriate for guiding in the Rocky Mountains
· Maintain Wilderness First-Aid qualifications and Red Cross CPR/First-Aid
If specialty area is Cook, then
· Be the cook on duty or assist the Cook on duty with hands-on food preparation in order to serve high quality, nutritious, and well-balanced meals in a spirit of Christian hospitality
· Apply Health Department rules and regulations in all aspects of food preparation and storage, and maintain high cleanliness standards for our kitchen to meet health department specifications
· Have a genuine love to work with food and minister through food services
Kitchen and Dining Room
· Assists the Director of Food Services in “front of house” and “back of house” kitchen and dining room duties, to include setting tables, serving food, washing dishes, and kitchen clean up.
· Assist in activities of housekeeping to ensure clean, orderly, and attractive lodges, chalets, cabins, and rooms at Spring Canyon
· Ensure all designated buildings meet camp standards for cleanliness and readiness for guests
· Coordinate readiness of cabins with Guest Services and Head of Housekeeping
· Ensure all dirty laundry is picked up from guest rooms, and then laundered and folded
· Check lodges and cabins for housekeeping supplies and restock as needed
· Assist in deep cleaning of designated buildings on camp
· Coordinate with the Head of Housekeeping for maintenance requirements (i.e. placement of Cab Fresh pouches, bug bombing, major repairs, etc.)
· Coordinate or clean a “terminal room” of a sick guest
· Coordinate with staff, if necessary, to accomplish rapid turn-over of any facilities
· View your service at Spring Canyon as a ministry calling rather than just a job. Be totally invested in the purpose and vision of OCF and Spring Canyon, and serve with a whole heart (1 Sam 12:24 and Col 3:23-24)
· Any other duties the Conference Center Director or his designated representative may assign (e.g., kitchen and dining room crew, snow removal, etc.)
WORKING CONDITIONS: Serves at Spring Canyon and resides on Spring Canyon property in staff housing, or obtains own housing in the vicinity of Buena Vista, CO. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position (paid on a salary basis) and the working hours required will be as necessary to carry out the responsibilities of the ministry. Due to the nature of Conference Center ministry, regular, full-time exempt employees living in conference center housing are on-call 24 hours per day with no provision for direct compensation. Being on-call does not prohibit employees from effectively controlling their time or leaving the premises. This position may be required to work irregular hours in order to meet guest needs. Occasional out-of-town and some local travel is required.
Spring Canyon Retreat and Conference Center (www.springcanyon.org), a ministry of Officers’ Christian Fellowship, is announcing these two full-time staff positions. These positions are available immediately, but ideally start NLT 1 Mar 19.
The Conference Center Specialist is involved in an array of conference center activities, and should have a strong all-around background. This employee could work in multiple functional areas. Candidates should have key skills in a specific area (e.g., outdoor, guest services, cooking, maintenance, and A/V tech), but in addition, will regularly work conference center operations (housekeeping, laundry, washing dishes, and setting tables) for approximately 3 days/week, with the remainder of the week spent on their specialty area.
Spring Canyon is a retreat and conference center in Buena Vista, CO, about 120 miles west of Colorado Springs. Since 1962, Spring Canyon has served military families, couples, singles, and Christian groups from across the world as a “home away from home” for community and fellowship. It is nestled in the beautiful Collegiate Peaks on the edge of the famous Arkansas River Valley, and is a Christ-centered sanctuary for military families, groups and individuals where the presence of God transforms lives. When guests drive down from the mountain after a retreat, our desire is that they are refreshed, equipped, and inspired to serve in the name of Jesus Christ wherever God has called them.
What are we looking for? 1. That a clear sense of God's calling to this specific and sacrificial work will become manifest through the hiring process. A demonstrated strong and growing Christian faith and desire to be part of the Spring Canyon ministry effort. A passion to sacrificially serve with a whole heart (possibly at all hours of the day) to guests through guest services, housekeeping tasks, cleaning dishes, and setting tables.
2. Ideally, but not essentially, someone who has grown up in the military, or transitioned from military service, with a strong and current professional and spiritual reputation.
3. Ideally, but not essentially, someone with a history in OCF and Spring Canyon or Christian camping/conference center ministry experience and leadership.
4. View service at Spring Canyon as a ministry calling rather than just a job. Be totally invested in the vision and mission of OCF and Spring Canyon, and serve with a whole heart (1 Sam 12:24 and Col 3:23-24).
5. Available soonest, but NLT 1 Mar 19; ability to work for ministry-level compensation.
6. Conference center housing is available. If provided, it would be a one-room single-efficiency apartment. Single employees might share an apartment with a roommate.
7. A reasonable expectation that the applicant will serve for at least 1-3 years.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact Mr. Kim Hawthorne (firstname.lastname@example.org, 719-659-3275) for further information and an application. Completed applications must be received NLT 18 November 2018.