Grace and Life Church (G&LC), a Denver inner-city Church and Compassion Ministry Center, is looking for a creative and passionate Christian believer to adventure with us on a faith journey as our DEVELOPMENT OFFICER (DO).
G&LC is run underneath the leadership of our local church board. The vision statement is: To Inspire a Renaissance in the City! Currently, G&LC conducts an after-school program, the Academia Mauricio Saravia, which provides art and sports classes to kindergarten through 5th grade children 1 - 2 days per week, and Jesus of Nazareth Compassion Ministries, our compassion ministry center which conducts community events and hosts mission teams. We are located in the 2nd poorest neighborhood of Denver and serve primarily a Hispanic population.
The DO works under the general supervision of the Senior Pastor. We seek a dedicated professional who can develop new donor relationships, strengthen our existing ones in the metro area, and lead our fundraising campaigns. Our ideal candidate is a team player, creative, comfortable asking for money and responsible to set up and carry through fund raising events and donor appointments.
The DO will be responsible for organizing and managing activities related to the analysis, planning, implementation, control and evaluation of fundraising activities. The following list of principal responsibilities is meant to illustrate the types of tasks that could be found in this position. However, actual job performance may not always involve all the duties listed.
1. To support Senior Pastor by meeting with him monthly to create and accomplish a yearly fundraising plan with campaigns and goals. Strategies may include but not be limited to: speaking engagements, golf tournaments, social media campaigns, banquets, etc.…).
2. To ensure that all fundraising is consistent with the overall mission, philosophy and strategic plan of Jesus of Nazareth Compassion Ministries.
3. To document all fundraising activities and provide a monthly donor report to the Senior Pastor and the Board of Directors.
4. To forge new donor partnerships by meeting with business, community, religious & civic contacts.
5. To sustain current partnerships within our Church network by speaking at churches, meeting with leaders and presenting at Christian events.
6. To create & sustain passion and commitment to inner-city children, youth and families.
7. Possible grant writing.
8. Possible other duties agreed upon by the DO and Senior Pastor.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics Sought to Achieve Success:
· Ability to effectively function in a collaborative manner with staff, board, volunteers and committees, and create and maintain a harmonious work environment.
· Interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written) including public speaking.
· Ability to initiate and develop relationships with others including donors.
· Organizational planning and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work on many complex projects simultaneously and to prioritize work.
· Ability to lead and coordinate board, staff and volunteers in fundraising projects.
· Ability to train, supervise and motivate as needed.
· Ability to write & design fundraising material such as: donor letters, brochures, PR kits, etc.
· Knowledge about philanthropic & Christian community in Denver & surrounding areas.
· Proven recent success in fund raising, particularly in major donor solicitation.
· Knowledge of database management and donor data research.
· Ability to establish social networking on the internet
· Bilingual in Spanish/English
This is a commission based 1099 contract position. All general and designated donations (either for G&LC or our DBAs: Jesus of Nazareth Compassion Ministries, Academia Mauricio Saravia, or the Idea Quest) originated by DO shall be compensated at a 25% commission for all net income earned for as long as both the DO and the donor continue with G&LC or its DBAs. General or non-designated donations are those which come into the ministry with no specifications as to how the donor would like the money to be used. Designated donations are those monies that a donor is specifying for a particular ministry, program or project. Both of these may include but not be limited to general donations made by: individuals, churches, civic &/or business entities, internet donations/sales/auctions, events for the overall organization (5k run, golf tournament, banquet, concert, etc.), speaking engagements, and etc. All fundraising activities and campaigns must receive prior approval from the Senior Pastor.
The Ministry Company shall monthly pay the Contractor 5% of all grants submitted by Contractor for as long as both the Contractor and the donor continue with G&LC. Grants are those monies that the contractor has acquired by submitting a proposal to a granting organization (private foundation, trust, or government agency). All grant proposals and submissions must receive prior approval from the Senior Pastor.
It is recommended that the DO keep track of monthly donations so that s/he will feel confident that an accurate compensation is being made. Total compensation for the year will be capped at $75,000. This amount will be reviewed and adjusted in ensuing years conditioned upon Board approval.
ACCOUNTABLE TO WHOM: Senior Pastor
The Development Officer acknowledges the responsibility to act in the best interest of Grace and Life Church at all times, and is expected to conduct her/his private and public life in a manner that will not embarrass the ministry. The Development Officer is to share her/his faith, promote the spiritual good of the church, serve the community, and express the love of God to those s/he has contact with.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Please send cover letter and résumé by post AND/OR email to: Pastor Scott Carranza, Senior Pastor
Grace and Life Church 4201 W. Kentucky Ave. Denver, CO 80219 303.949.4674