Reports To: Operations/Christian Adventures Director
Status: Summer 2020, Seasonal
The Christian Adventures Head Guides will further the mission of CranHill by leading programs and adventure trips; to seek opportunity for significant spiritual impact and growth for Guides, adventure campers, and guests; to assist in leadership and supervision of adventure campers; to welcome volunteers each week and empower them as members of the camp team; to assist with any camper behavior support issues and to interact with campers within our philosophy of intentional programming.
Job Responsibilities – General
• Practice self-conduct in such a way that seeks to glorify God in all you say and do
• Practice respect towards full-time staff, fellow summer staff, volunteers, and all summer campers whether the individual is present or not
• Cultivate a willing and servant-like attitude of humility toward serving campers and guests
• Be teachable and humble, willing to learn
• Act in a professional manner as a role model for all campers, volunteers and fellow staff
• Be fully aware of all safety and emergency procedures, and execute procedures when required including communicating safety rules to campers and guests and enforcing them
• Be prepared to serve CranHill in areas outside of the specific responsibilities of your position as the need arises
• Seek to anticipate the needs of campers, guests, and volunteers and meet those needs to the best of your ability
• Attend and participate in all trainings, meetings, devotions, and planning sessions
• Spur fellow staff members on towards Christ, but not at the expense of the guests we are ministering to
• Integrate and support volunteers at camp and provide them with training as needed
• Ensure camp property is respected and cared for
• Participate in required evening ministry opportunities (Youth Camp events, Family camp events, etc.)
• Nurture own spiritual nourishment through prayer and time in the Word
• Attend Worship services (on-site or off-site) as communicated by full-time staff
• Participate in required Sunday activities (Chapel in the Pines, meals, registration) as needed and directed
• Help maintain a positive community and work environment
• Practice biblical conflict resolution
• Exemplify CranHill rules and reinforce them with campers and guests
• Know and follow the schedule
• Ensure staff living spaces and assigned work areas are clean and tidy at all times
• Participate in camp set up and shut down for each session and the summer season
• Maintain camper and colleague confidentiality at all times
• Exemplify CranHill rules and reinforce them with campers
• Abide by and comply with all policies and procedures as listed in the staff covenant, manual, and in staff orientation
Job Responsibilities – Specific
• Assist in the training of Christian Adventures Guides
• Provide training and leadership to other staff and volunteers who are assisting with Christian Adventures programs
• Assist with the maintenance of the appearance, cleanliness, organization, and safety of Christian Adventures basecamp, vehicles, and equipment
• Assist with all the duties and responsibilities of the Christian Adventures Guides
• Work with the Program Director regarding any off-site adventure activities with Youth Camps
• Work with Guest Services Manager regarding any off-site adventure activities for Guest Groups
• As a working supervisor, perform and assist with all duties and responsibilities of Waterfront and Adventure Staff
• Lead and facilitate outdoor adventure trips and activities, including backpacking, rock climbing, mountain biking, day hiking, road cycling, paddling, team building, and service projects for youth and adults
• Be responsible for group safety and care
• Teach skills technique and safety
• Lead or assist groups in devotions and/or Bible Studies
• Prepare, clean, and maintain all gear and equipment used during an adventure
• Plan, buy, prepare, and package group food for all trips
• Make sure all CA policies and local laws are adhered to
• Drive groups to activities
• Provide a safe environment during all activities
• Perform other duties, as required by Christian Adventures Director and/or Head Guide • Other duties as assigned
• Strong, maturing faith in and relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
• Passion for the CranHill mission of being a ministry through which God is transforming lives into the image of Christ
• Must have a teachable attitude and a willingness to learn
• Preferably 21 years old, but must be at least 18 years old
• Must be available between June 1 and August 17, 2020
• Must have current Wilderness First Responder (or higher) certification
• Must have a current and valid driver’s license
• Previous experience with outdoor adventure pursuits is preferred
• Have good communication skills
• A desire to work with children, and people in general
This is a residential position. Accommodations will be provided for the duration of the contract and most meals will be provided while camp is in session.
CranHill summer staff will be expected to:
• Be able to identify emergency situations, either by seeing them happen, hearing cries for help, or hearing the emergency alert siren and bell.
• Have the strength, endurance, and physical skills to respond quickly and appropriately to emergency situations, according to written emergency procedures and plans, which may include calling for help, running distances up to a half-mile, and watching to see if campers are responding appropriately.
• Be able to demonstrate or participate in camp activities as they supervise and instruct campers: this will require the ability to walk, sit, climb, kneel, crouch, stoop, and stand.
• Be able to move items (such as canoes, backpacking equipment, bicycles, trailers, and more) around in the program areas: this will require the strength and mobility to push, pull, lift, and carry items up to 50 pounds.
• Possess the strength and stamina to supervise what campers are doing when in close proximity, and the ability to hear what campers are saying when nearby, but not necessarily within direct visual contact. Stamina includes the ability to remain alert, friendly, courteous, and patient for the duration of the staff member’s time at camp.
Applicants are asked to complete an online application. The application may be accessed through our parent ministry (CranHill) website at www.cranhillranch.com.