PURPOSE: Represent and conduct the ministry of Spring Canyon in accordance with the OCF and Spring Canyon Strategy through being an Outdoor Guide or as directed by the Center Director or his designated representative. Serve as a member of the Spring Canyon team, with a focus on providing spiritual refreshment and blessing to every guest. Assists in conducting programs and activities at Spring Canyon that draw guests closer to Jesus Christ and make an impact on the way they live for Him. Help ensure that Spring Canyon is a place where members and guests of OCF are emboldened in their faith and walk, equipped to live out their faith and run their race, encouraged along the entire course of their race, and engaged in their calling as they live out their lives.
SUPERVISOR: Program Director/Outdoor Leader
RESPONSIBILITIES: Key responsibilities of this position are as follows:
· Live faithfully as a disciple of Jesus Christ and in obedience to God’s Word. Subscribe to the OCF Statement of Faith and Participation, and Biblical Guidelines for Member and Leader Conduct without reservation.
· Team--Contribute to the success of Spring Canyon by being an integral part of the ministry team and by supporting the Center Director to create a God-honoring environment where people encounter Christ and are encouraged in their walk. Contribute to the fullness of the “heartbeat” of Spring Canyon and encourage God-loving relationships with every staff and family member at Spring Canyon.
· Lead and facilitate a variety of outdoor adventure elements and activities for each of Spring Canyon’s two premier wilderness leadership programs, Rocky Mountain High (rmhbv.org) and Father Teen Adventure (ftabv.org).
· Lead the Teen program for Summer Celebration family retreats.
· Daily activities will vary throughout the summer including: leading rock climbing and rappelling, leading a small group on multi-day backpacking adventures, leading students up the summit of one of Colorado’s 14,000’+ peaks, facilitating team-building and high ropes course events, and more.
· Serve as an integral part of a larger Spring Canyon staff team and will be expected to live in community together.
· Quality of character and attitude will be considered more important than outdoor skills.
· Spring Canyon will teach you the skills necessary to be a successful guide, including four weeks of intensive guide training which will include instruction in rock-climbing, backpacking, wilderness first aid, group facilitation skills, as well as how to integrate ministry and faith with wilderness leadership.
· Active Christian faith and character
· Genuine love for being in the outdoors on multi-day trips
· Engaging personality and a desire to share the outdoors with others
· Willingness to live in close community with other Christian brothers and sisters
· Physical fitness appropriate for guiding in the Rocky Mountains
· Must be at least 18 years old and have completed one full year of college or equivalent work experience post high school
· Salary plus all meals and lodging provided
· Maintain Wilderness First-Aid qualifications and Red Cross CPR/First-Aid
· Availability to live on site and work full-time from mid-May to mid-August
· Any other duties the Conference Center Director or his designated representative may assign (e.g., kitchen and dining room crew, maintenance, etc.)
WORKING CONDITIONS: Serves at Spring Canyon and resides on Spring Canyon property in staff housing. This is a temporary (not benefits eligible), full-time, exempt position and the working hours required will be as necessary to carry out the responsibilities of the ministry. This position may be required to work irregular hours in order to meet guest needs. Occasional out-of-town and some local travel is required.
Kim D. Hawthorne, Colonel, USAF (Ret.)
Center Director Spring Canyon Retreat & Conference Center - OCF 26000 County Road 344
PO Box 2047, Buena Vista, Colorado 81211 Work: 719-395-2328 or 888-663-1417 Cell: 719-659-3275
Fax: 719-395-6364 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org