Contact Name: Sarah Braucht
Contact Phone Number: (970) 524-5714
Reports to: Assistant Camp Director
Status: Seasonal Summer
Pay/Wage: $61 per day
This is a residential position. Accommodation will be provided for the duration of the contract and meals will be provided while camp is in session.
Position Location: Gypsum, CO
Number of Positions Open: 10
Start Date: May 23, 2019
End Date: August 11, 2019
Brief Job Description
The Program Leader will further the mission of Roundup River Ranch by leading activities that are in line with our philosophy of intentional programming; to contribute to the overall development of the specific activity, evening programs, special days and other camp programs; to provide support for other staff and volunteers and to maintain a physically and emotionally supportive environment for campers.
• Act in a professional manner as a role model for all campers, volunteers and fellow staff
• Be fully aware of all safety and emergency procedures, and execute procedures when required including ensuring campers are aware of and understand the safety rules at all times
• Attend and participate in all trainings, meetings, and planning sessions
• Integrate and support volunteers at camp and provide them with training as needed
• Provide behavior support to campers including regular and positive feedback to campers and their achievements, supporting group issues, and being aware and sensitive of campers fears and concerns
• Ensure camp property is respected
• Be punctual in following the schedule
• Ensure cabins and living spaces are clean and tidy at all times, including prior to volunteer arrival
• Participate in camp set up and shut down for each session and the summer season
• Maintain camper and colleague confidentiality at all times
• Abide by and comply with all policies and procedures as listed in the staff contract, manual and in staff orientation
Job Responsibilities- Specific
• Ensure all camp programs support the mission, vision and values of Roundup River Ranch
• Prepare activities appropriately, clean after use and maintain (including logs, inventories, safety checks, etc).
• Ensure all activities, including all-weather plans, are in line with the Roundup River Ranch philosophy of intentional programming which includes designing encouraging, fun, and developmentally appropriate activities that are adaptable, inclusive, and medically safe for campers ages 7-17
• Assist entertainments team as needed with planning and leading all camp activities including evening programs, themed days and meals, planning skits and songs
• Actively strive to positively incorporate program feedback and direction from all participants and support staff
• Facilitate camper choice time and unscheduled “free” time
• Take an active role with assigned cabin
• Support fellow staff with camper’s personal hygiene, monitoring camper’s health, and assisting with night watch
• Assist campers with personal care as needed, including but not limited to assisting campers with toileting and showering assistance, changing bedding, and washing camper clothes
• Be familiar with all information available on each group of campers including the medical and behavior alert lists, and any other information provided by the support team and/or cabin leaders and volunteers
• Ensure that the activity area and cabin are physically and emotionally safe environments for campers at all times
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications • Passion for the Roundup River Ranch mission • Age 19 years old, or older • Previous experience working with children and/or special needs populations • Proven experience in facilitating activities with youth • Strong collaboration and team building skills • Well-developed communication skills • Preference will be given to candidates with recognized qualifications in the activity to be led
Art, Nature, Discovery (Science), Music, Drama, and Horses programs require related experience and/or education, with preference given to applicants with experience in facilitating these activities with youth
Special training in Challenge Course facilitation and/or Waterfront Lifeguarding is required for certain positions (applicants interested in these areas are encouraged to still apply, as training can be obtained prior to the start of the summer season)
Roundup River Ranch camp staff will be expected to:
• Be able to identify emergency situations, either by seeing them happen, hearing cries for help, or hearing the emergency alert siren and bell.
• Have the strength, endurance, and physical skills to respond quickly and appropriately to emergency situations, according to written emergency procedures and plans, which may include callings for help, running distances up to a half-mile, and watching to see if campers are responding appropriately.
• Be able to demonstrate or participate in camp activities as they supervise and instruct campers: this will require the ability to walk, sit, climb, kneel, crouch, stoop, and stand.
• Be able to move items (such as canoes, archery and sports equipment, craft supplies, and bicycles) around in the program areas, and collect firewood: this will require the strength and mobility to push, pull, lift, and carry items up to 50 pounds.
• Possess the strength and stamina to maintain constant supervision of campers for the duration of the season given one hour off per day and twenty-four hours off per week of work, granted during the breaks between sessions. Such supervision requires the ability to observe what campers are doing when in close proximity, and the ability to hear what campers are saying when nearby by not necessarily within direct visual contact. Stamina includes the ability to remain alert, friendly, courteous, and patient for the duration of the staff member’s time at camp.
Applicants are asked to complete an online application. The application may be accessed through our website at www.RoundupRiverRanch.org.
Upload a File (Job Description): Program Leader Job Description.pdf
Organization Website: https://roundupriverranch.org/