If your freshman year is shaping out anything like mine, your first weeks of school have been filled with the following: hikes, volleyball, and a ton of on-campus activities. The first few weeks of school are so filled that it is almost impossible to find yourself without something to do. That changes as the school year progresses, and unless you know Denver well, you can quickly run out of things to try on your weekends. Here are ten things to do or try in your freshman year of college:
1. Climb a fourteener- You have probably seen photos of friends at the summit of the many peaks in the area. Try one for yourself! Remember that if you bring a Which Which Sandwich bag with you to the top and take a photo of yourself with it, you get a FREE sandwich!
2. Study at Union Station- Union Station is a shopping center that is connected to Denver’s light rail. Transportation to and from it is very easy and the shopping center has a great place to study and people watch.
3. Denver Art Museum- Check out Denver’s Art Museum! The first Saturday of every month admission is FREE!
4. Mayan Theatre- If you’re looking for a cool and historic place to catch a movie, you should go to the Mayan Theatre on South Broadway St. The theatre has been around since the 30s and there are tons of local places to eat on the street near there.
5. Twist & Shout- Go to this record store for movies, CDs, and vinyl. It’s an independently owned business and has lots of selection
6. Mercury Cafe- This cafe has tons of things to offer, but two of my favorites are poetry slams and swing dancing. The swing dancing features a live band on Thursdays, and you can check the schedule for other events each night of the week.
7. State Parks- Get outside and check out one of the states many national parks. They are the perfect places to hike, bike, and picnic, especially in the fall.
8. Oktoberfest- This festival celebrates all things German culture and is the last weekend of September in Ballpark Neighborhood.
9. Linger- You may have seen this restaurant/bar on your instagram stories. It’s a great place to hang with friends on a rooftop that overlooks downtown Denver.
10. Stueben’s- This is a great restaurant with reasonable prices, a fun location, and great food. The best part about it is the retro-style diner- Try it out!